Respect Life Ministry
The Respect Life Ministry's mission at St. Barnabas Church is to foster in our parish community an awareness of the dignity and sanctity of all human life, from conception to natural death.
Our vision recognizes the dignity of every peson as created in the image of God and seeks through love, hope and faith to protect the sanctity of all God's children from the moment of conception to natural death. Our ministry promotes respect for life through educational, pastoral, and spiritual activities under the umbrella of love for every person by:
- Praying for the protection of all human lives
- Educating parishioners on the Church's teaching on marriage and Human Sexuality
- Providing spiritual, material and emotional support for mothers and babies
- Supporting pro-life activities in our community
Meetings are held on the first Monday of the month from 6:30-7:30pm in the parish center. For more information, please contact Caroline Dooley ([email protected]; cell: 401-682-1961).
Click Here for a comprehensive list of local pro-life resources that support women and children.
Miscarriage is the loss of a baby before the 20th week of pregnancy and it is estimated that as many as 50% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. Yet, despite the commonality of this experience, many couples grieve alone, particularly if the baby was lost in the first trimester or before the pregnancy was announced.
The Respect Life Committee would like to offer some support to families who are grieving the loss of a child. Here are some ways we can help:
- Listening ear: If you’d like to talk to someone, members of our group – some of whom have had a miscarriage – are happy to speak with you or simply listen. Please email [email protected] and we will respond ASAP.
- Meals: Having a home-cooked meal can be one less thing to think about during this difficult time. Feel free to email us at the above email address and we will be in touch about dropping off a meal.
- Prayer: We can request that your baby/family be included in Mass intentions. We also have blessed St. Gianna prayer cards (https://travelingrelicsofstgianna.com/) which we can mail to you.
- There are a number of resources available online, but the following are a few that might be helpful:
- https://www.catholicmiscarriagesupport.com/ - incredibly helpful link about the physical process of miscarriage, how to care for and bury your baby, and how to navigate the hospital.
- https://mycatholicdoctor.com/our-services/miscarriage-and-infant-loss-support/miscarriage-and-infant-loss-resources/ - information about Facebook support group (Mommy to a Little Saint), Shrine of the Unborn, and burial resources (baby gowns, Trappist monk caskets, etc).
- E.N.D. (Mommies Enduring Neonatal Death)is a Christian, non-profit organization that reaches out to families who have suffered the loss of a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth, or early infant death.
- For those wishing to memorialize a child lost, Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep photography provides free portraits to parents suffering from miscarriage or stillbirth.